Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How it started....

So maybe we didn't follow the normal procedure that the storybooks have. This is how our "initial" proposal went circa July:

Me: So I am ready to move to England...
Mr. FMB: So we are getting married next summer?
Me: I guess I better plan that before I move...
(End Gchat)

Now I will give you a second to dry those emotional tears from your eyes over after listening to that heartwarming proposal. OK, Done? Alright- so this takes place in July, two months before the next time Mr. FMB comes to visit. So I know he will be popping the question, my family wants to see us and we have to go to our Engaged Encounter weekend... all within 10 days. Easy...

Now I finished graduate school back in 2008 and have been a hard working woman ever since. Mr. FMB happens to be three years younger and engaged in a PhD that had not started his stipend yet. So after deciding to move forward we have to pick out a ring that fits our budget- three months his salary right? Well Mr. FMB salary times three equaled a whole $0.

As any wishing to be engaged lady... I had been ogling (and googling) engagement rings for a while already so lets say I had ideas and expectations. However like an adult I had to face reality. Knowing I had to move, clear debt and had many other expenses ahead leading up the wedding (not even counting the wedding itself) I set aside the 1ct solitaire in my dreams and went along with Mr. FMB’s proposed $100 budget. Honestly inside I was that little girl kicking and screaming and throwing a silent tantrum... but in a short time I came to accept and embrace that this was how things were and it was ok.

Reality about a $100ish budget:
1) A quality diamond will be very hard to come by... so give it up
2) When it comes to metals to everyone else it looks white or it looks yellow- so why spend 5xs more for something only you know about
3) Redefine what engagement ring means (until 1900's gemstones a were very common choice)

The results of my ring search for thee under a $150 or less range (oh I should mention Mr. FMB and I shared very different opinions on the styles... but I have to wear it right?)



$114.99
www.jansjewells.com
Notes: I loved, he hated this
$149.99 on sale
www.zales.com
Notes: both of us found it just functional

$89.99
www.zales.com
Notes: I kinda liked, he didn't


Did your ring meet your childhood expectations? Did you choose to go alternative and choose a gemstone?

No comments:

Post a Comment