Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Please don't feed the bridal magazines....

With several weeks to go until Mr. FMB made it across the Atlantic with selected ring I got down to gathering ideas. I have always had a unique sense of style and usually can immediately say like/don’t like to most things right away.

Now I must caution those who purchase bridal magazines… if you leave more than two together unsupervised they will begin to breed until you cannot manage all of them. As a scientist I have studied this phenomena and it’s the only explanation I can give for how fast the piles of them can grow. I am still completing the genetic testing but I am pretty sure the DNA of bridal magazines is part gremlin and you shouldn’t read them at night… they have been known to affect the mental health of normal people.

Extermination was the only solution to keep the problem under control. But it wasn’t as easy as trapping them in recycling bin so they could later be released into the wild… I had been nurturing the beasts, spending time with them, thinking some of the ideas in them were viable and I was completely artsy enough to pull off DIY. Unwilling to part without a keepsake I had to make a decision. They all had to go but first I would dissect those parts out which I found useful.

Turns out this helped the infestation however it did leave an unsightly pile of tattered pages. Luckily I had a binder with folders lying around. The hideous and ugly pile of vicious bridal mags became an organized binder of ideas. Every time I read a mag I would immediately remove those parts I liked, recycle the mag and sort the pages into my binder. Twice a month I would sit down and go through each section and remove any ideas or pictures that I no longer was enticed by.

See my magic binder



Ideas are organized into folders where like themes are grouped (flowers, dresses, table settings). When a decision is made it goes into a pocket for display. (working on fixing the picture)

Slowly the wedding binder organically developed a color scheme, types of flowers and the overall style of the wedding. A wedding binder is a much kinder creature than the swarming magazines and continues to be used daily. So successful was this I am starting a similar idea for my new house- decorating and garden magazines seem to share the same gremlin gene and ability to multiply at a rapid rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment