Thursday, March 17, 2011

The US venue... was it too easy?

After an internal debate I decided on having the wedding on my campus. Serendipitously the chapel and the ballroom were both available on our first choice date and we booked (re: I jumped on that like an angry tiger who has not been fed for months). It is rumored that you need to schedule the church years in advance to get a date... so maybe I am just lucky.

The campus is in central Massachusetts in a "lovely" city where toll-booth Willy is rumored to work. With a large iron fence to keep the riff-raf out, the college was founded as the the first Roman Catholic institute in New England in 1843. The campus has the timeless elegance of high street fashions like Lilly Pulitzer, JCrew and Ralph Lauren- or wait is that just how all the students dress. I digress. The campus is a national arboretum and the grounds crew are prided on the way they maintain the campus, which is easier in the summer with out all the students stumbling about. So this is my walk to the chapel:




And the front of St. Joseph chapel:


Did I mention by chapel I meant something that fit my entire freshman class- seating over 900... perhaps a view of the inside will help you understand:



And as if wedding jitters on that Saturday are not going to be enough... this is my first view when they open the doors and play that fancy song with all the trumpets:


After a casual stroll up the 999234 stairs that the campus is made of (evidently land on the side of a mountain is cheap) here is a shot of the ballroom simply set up... not beautiful, not ugly, but highly functional..... and technically the whole room can be a dance floor which knowing our guest list will get used.



I know I got very very lucky that this was open for the dates. We were confined by the following:
-After July 15th for grooms brother
-Before Aug 1st or after Aug 11th for grooms parents
-Before Aug 15th for brides parents

Were you flexible on your dates or did you find bookings to be a struggle? Did you choose your season to get married because you wanted it or by default?

1 comment: