Monday, March 28, 2011

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

This weekend Mr. FMB and I went back to his hometown by train for a day trip. Sadly when we phone googled to check the time table to come back it may as well gave us this image:


Yes, all trains had been cancelled the rest of the night. Luckily his parents put us up and a roommate back at home walked the dog. However this small transportation disaster (I had a game early Sunday to get back for) got me thinking about the US wedding transportation.

I have not been fully ignoring the fact that I actually have to get to the wedding. I have two parts planned already. First- planes!

Two tickets on a nice airline in July- $2400

First we will take a flight from London direct to NYC for about the price of our first born child. There are other guests that are taking less luxurious airlines with layovers and less legroom but for $200 extra a ticket I believe my sanity is worth it. (FYI- we will totally be going for the upgrade at check-in)

Next up- Trains

Two Amtrak tickets NYC to Boston- $120

In order to save on car rentals we will take the train up to Boston and wait to rent until we really need it. Now why don't we just fly into Boston? Mr. FMB and I may need to visit the UK Consulate in NYC for an interview for my rushed visa- so NYC was closer and I can get home to the mountains to wait for the paperwork to finish while he flies back to England without me :(

So... we have already spent close to $2,500 on getting the the two of us to the right state for the wedding. Now for the typical wedding limo choices right?



Limo rental for the day- $800ish (give or take a few)

The thought of paying for a car which I will only be in for less than an hour the entire day annoys me. Since our venue and church are just a staircase (be it a very large staircase) away, all I need a limo for is to the site at 2:30pm and back at 10pm. The parents FMB agreed with me and thought it was silly and I would far rather eat or drink that $800 thank you. So we started brainstorming for alternatives.



Nice sports car owned by family member- Free

Awesome- free. However this may need to be the grooms vehicle as there is no way I could get into a two door car in my dress. Although an attempt at this may get me YouTube fame. So I needed a much bigger car-

Yukon owned by family- Free

Bonus- if needed I can be laid flat across the back to fit into it easily. So in my head we are sorted. I should probably call those family members to double check. We also have the family benefit of the cousin valet service (old enough to party, too young to drink). They will be helping out with keeping all the guests safe.

Did you go the traditional route or non-conventional? Was transportation even important or just a way to get from point A to point B? Did other family members help out to take the pressure off you and your parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment