Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Searching for a UK venue....

The search for a US venue was too easy. The powers that be in the world decided that as well and threw us a few curve balls for the UK search.

Shortly after our engagement Mr. FMB went to visit venues near his hometown. After looking at about 3-4 he found a place he liked and wanted me to see it first before we booked. As I did not have a trip planned until Christmas we had a little wait. Before I move on I want to give props to Mr. FMB for taking initiative early on without any nagging or requests from me.

Mr. FMB had seen said venue in the late summer and when I arrived in December it looked quite different. We also were going to have to take a full day package when all we really needed was the evening event. I should have spoken up right then and there but the UK event was supposed to be for his friends so I held my opinion in. We talked over numbers with the coordinator and took a contract with two months to decide. (Hive, I am going to let you in on a secret.... I really did not like the venue at all, I kinda hated it and it made me a little sad inside)

For this history buffs out there... remember how WWI started? (Assassination, secret alliances and an order to attack that as taken back but too late) Well WWIII started when after a couple beers I let slip I hated the venue because it was dingy and tired looking. That lead to the release of a flood of emotions from both sides and Mr. FMB believing I wasn't taking the Sheff-do seriously when it mattered a lot to him . After the longest cab ride ever of arguing we got home and slept it off (if that random cabby reads Weddingbee... I am sorry). I returned to the states and we began the online search for a venue all over again. However we had to wait until February when I would be back in England.

With a peace treaty for WWIII signed and the safety of the Atlantic for me to practice isolationism, Mr. FMB and I were able to search online pick out a few places to look at. On a Saturday we checked our our three top choices and luckily the third one on that day was a charm. A Victorian charm that is. Best features:
-Oldest hotel in Sheffield
-Preserved all the Victorian charms (I should mention I like old things and Mr. FMB often calls me a Grandma, but in this case he loved it too)
-Close to downtown so those taking the trains up Friday night had an easy trip
-Discount rates on rooms and a further discount on the Holiday Inn Express that is newly built next door
-50% cheaper than the other quotes

Now you may be saying... "Holiday Inns are not exactly...ummm.. eerrr.. nice" I appreciate your politeness and I assure you this is not your average Holiday Inn




Admittedly that is a good view, the location is a bit odd in town... but hey its cool... and check out the full bar and cocktail area we get along with the ballroom:


Being that The FMBs are not only dual wedding planners we are about to move into a big empty house... we both want to steal those leather chairs. But the real steal was the ballroom (I almost want a big dress now and a Mr. Darby to swing around):



So those are our two venues... how do you think we did? Which is your favorite? Did you get of easy or was it debate between you and your other?

No comments:

Post a Comment