Thursday, March 17, 2011

A meeting of the families.....


Not my family tree... but I did draw a diagram for the inlaws...





To all you out there I would like to make a confession... I really like my parents.

I enjoy going home and hanging out with them. Even as a teenager I liked hanging out with my family. Now I am a bit of a dork but I also have to say the FMB parents are pretty awesome. A typical Saturday will consist of appetizers and adult beverages starting around 6pm (or earlier), followed by an awesome meal, dessert, more adult beverages and very competitive game playing. The FMB parents are so cool that my siblings and my twenty something friends come over to hang out with them too.

Now that confession is out there... over the Thanksgiving holidays Mr. FMB and his parents came over the pond (that is me working on my Brit lingo). Now this visit may rival the engagement trip in the amount we had to do.
-MOH and Mr. FMB and I attended a gala for a family foundation
-Mr. FMB parents visit Boston, view our venue, travel to NY to meet EVERYONE
-Thanksgiving Eve is my birthday and dinner with close family friends
-Thanksgiving Day with my Mom's side of the family
-Day after Thanksgiving with my Dad's side of the family
All in less than 2 weeks

Is your head done spinning?

As horrible as this all could have gone it actually was a whirlwind of fun. Mr. FMB took his parents around Boston and they were pretty much up for anything. All of the dinner parties back at the house were as a described before with delicious food, adult beverages, competitive game playing and a lot of laughs. One family favorite is "Apples to Apples" and we had over 20 people playing as my siblings and I had even more friends over after dinner. Mr. FMB's dad felt comfortable enough to start throwing out some uncouth humor out there. I can tell everyone will get on fabulous at the wedding.

With all the celebrations were done and everyone back in their respective countries I feel very confident about the wedding day. No matter how much could possibly go wrong- with a bar, a DJ and enough nibbles my family will find a way to make it a blast. With all the crazy stories I hear about horrible family problems I am counting my lucky stars for the one that I have.

With the distance we were very lucky to get everyone together before the big day. If your families live far apart how are you planning on introducing them before or at least at the wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment