Monday, April 4, 2011

On the topic of stationary....

While I was "home home" in January (home is Boston where I was living, home home is NY where I grew up... not sure what I call England) the FMB parents trapped me at the kitchen table for some serious wedding work- invitations. I am not sure how they lured me into actually making decisions but I think wine and cheese were involved so they were playing dirty and tricking me.

So I opened up my nifty wedding binder and took out all my ideas for invitations- oh wait there was only one-
Isn't it cute and gardenish and my favorite color green? However there was one major problem, Mr. FMB hated it. Mr. FMB and I have very very different tastes and I am sure we will have many arguments ahead over the decor for the new house. Since it was just a piece of paper (wedding blasphemy I know, please don't strike me down wedding gods) I decided to not fight him on it and went to the website this was from, getmarried.com, to browse what else they had. Fortunately they had many different varieties for under $150/100 invites (the budget was $350 with postage*)

First I checked out the monogram idea:

However even after searching online I can not for the life of me figure out whose letter goes on it. (I like his letter "M" better than my "C" except when I was a child and getting in alphabetical order- sorry future kids) So I moved on to the damask style ones to go along with our STD:




After giving myself a migraine with all the swirls and curls I decided to back up and go to basics (in clothing language- button down and pearls):





After a quick online chat with Mr. FMB (thank you gchat) we settled with a clean cut pressed white shirt version of a wedding invite:
Now I just needed to figure out how to order them...

Did you purchase online or did you need to see them in person? With the cost of invitations soaring to $10/invite or more do you think that its worth spending on or did you decide to save on them?


*Postage disclaimer- "dem stamps expensive!" I advise to estimate at least $1/invite for stampage and more if you have square invites or heavy ones. But do remember that it is not one invite/person because of families and couples. OK go estimate away and then curse the USPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment